“Rock The Vote!”

Concert encourages Stetson students to make their voices heard.

JB Pitts, Writer - The Reporter

With two weeks to go until election day, large groups of Stetson students could be seen gathering on the steps of the Carlton Union Building, asking, “What’s going on?” Their inquisitiveness was driven by the sight of free pizza and t-shirts, and the sound of music – all part of the “Rock The Vote!” concert put on by Stetson Votes.

Students pose with signs from both major candidates. Photo by Maeve Coughlin.

Stetson Votes is a student organization dedicated to assisting students with the democratic process. The organization facilitates voter registration, provides absentee ballots and attempts to educate voters.

In order to get their pizza, students first were asked to participate in a presidential straw poll. Absent from the poll was conservative independent candidate Evan McMullin, who is a dark horse candidate to win the state of Utah. However, McMullin is generating little attention elsewhere in the U.S.

Results of this poll showed that the majority of Stetson students prefer Hillary Clinton as their future president, with the Democratic nominee receiving 56 percent of the 189 votes compared to 22 percent for Donald Trump, 12 for Gary Johnson, 7 for Jill Stein, and a lone write-in vote for Harambe that accounted for 0.5 percent in itself, according to Stetson Votes president Christina Borg.

Students waiting in line had the opportunity to look at sample ballots and read about the candidates running at both the national and Florida state level. Students registered to vote in Volusia County also had the opportunity to sign up for rides to the polls on Nov. 8.

Stetson’s Women’s a cappella group Treble in Paradise performs for the crowd at “Rock the Vote.” Photo by Maeve Coughlin.

In addition to all of the excitement drummed up towards voting, there were also musical performances by Taylor Hamilton, a Stetson student songwriter who played her own songs on the ukulele, and Treble in Paradise, the campus women’s a capella group.

Between performances, Bill McCullough, a local candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives and a Stetson graduate, addressed the crowd and answered questions from students.

McCullough fielded a question on Florida’s controversial Amendment One, a deceptively worded solar energy policy amendment that was funded by the Florida energy monopoly. He noted that renewable energy is “already competitive” with fossil fuels if we “just get out of its way.”

McCullough also took time to discuss the severe increase of student loan debt since his time at Stetson, and other changes since his time as an undergraduate.

Local candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives, Bill McCullough, answers a question from students about Florida Amendment One. Photo by Maeve Coughlin.

Early voting in Florida opened Oct. 24. Voters registered in Florida can vote at their precincts between now and Nov. 5 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Election Day is Tuesday, Nov. 8.