Touchstone • The Reporter • WHAT Radio

Hatter Network

Touchstone • The Reporter • WHAT Radio

Hatter Network

Touchstone • The Reporter • WHAT Radio

Hatter Network

Post Archives by Month
Unpacked: With President Roellke
Staff Who Care: Recognizing Stetsons Humble Heroes
Letter From The Editor
View All

Dear Reader Segment

Question by Jordan Hanstein ’27: How do you think social media usage has affected you/the people in your life?

Dear Reader,

My experience on social media has been curated to the niche communities I’m a part of on the internet. Specifically within certain apps, such as X, Tumblr and TikTok–those apps are heavy on the curated home page. These apps are the easiest to engage and lose ourselves in scrolling. 

In this new day and age, social media has the power to really modify the content you see and have access to. A lot of websites now allow you to block words and individuals. I do not think you should be scared to take advantage of this feature, especially if social media is making you feel inadequate! Social media should be a positive space for you to share your posts and keep in contact with your friends. 

Social media keeps me in contact with people I don’t see on an everyday basis. It’s great to be able to send a TikTok and watch people’s stories. It has made me better at staying in contact with long-distance friends and keeps me up-to-date with everyone else. 

Alondra Y Rivas-Jimenez ’27

Question by Andrea Mingo ’24: Where can I find student discounts when shopping online?

As students, we’re pretty familiar with being on a tight budget– especially at the end of the month while buying groceries or indulging in some retail therapy. Don’t worry, though; in this era of technology, we can save a fortune and still treat ourselves to purchases that make us happy! 

Two popular online websites ( also available as apps) are Student Beans and UNiDAYS – my personal life savers! Student Beans and UNiDAYS provide deals on their websites exclusively for students for various  brands and retailers running from clothes, to books and even a new phone.

If you need some new shoes or even a 20% off coupon to finally afford that Grammarly account to improve your writing, they should be your go-to! Before accessing the deals, you must log in with your current student email, which you can verify via your university.

Both Student Beans and UNiDAYS have large databases of partner sites with discounts in many categories, including but far from limited to fashion, beauty, technology, food delivery and entertainment. The apps of both sites allow you to carry coupons in your pocket, and you’ll never be denied the chance to buy something because your coupon has expired!

Next time you want to go on a shopping spree or just to save some money at your favorite places, go to Student Beans and UNiDAYS to score the best deals both online and in stores! Your wallet will thank you later. 

Happy Shopping!

Emma Weis ’24

Question by Alexandria Metivier ’26: What are the must-try dishes or cuisines unique to the area?

Dear Reader, 

I definitely remember many nights when I was wanting something a little different than home cooking, but also not quite craving Commons cooking either. Luckily, Downtown DeLand is only a short walk away from central campus and offers a pretty good collection of cuisines. From Italian to Vietnamese, the downtown strip houses a plethora of fine dining and casual options for students, family and faculty alike. 

Personally, I am partial to Asian cuisines and DeLand’s Oudom Thai and Sushi is family-owned and packed with sushi and vegetarian options. Not to mention, just past the downtown strip is another great sushi place, The Twisted Chopstick. A bit of a larger venue than Oudom, Twisted Chopstick has a lot of innovative sushi and poke options, one of my personal faves being the Foxy Lady. Plus, both places have cooked options as well as soups and appetizers for family and friends that may be a little less adventurous. And if you like fish and veggie dishes like me, I would highly recommend Santorini for some family-style Greek cuisine. 

Though, I acknowledge that as a college student, eating out isn’t always the most sustainable or affordable. So, if you and a few friends want to explore DeLand away from campus but don’t necessarily want to have a full-blown sit-down meal, I know my go-tos are any coffee or breakfast spots. I am personally partial to Trilogy; all their coffee is ethically sourced and freshly roasted. The space is right outside the Farmer’s Market downtown and provides a perfect study or catch-up spot. The venue even goes so far as to exhibit Stetson student art during certain months. DeLand also houses some great local bagel and donut shops, like Mr. Bill’s whose location makes fresh donuts daily. 

Overall, Deland is definitely worth exploring if you have the time and resources. Make a day out of it; grab a friend or venture solo! The downtown strip offers a pretty good collection of cuisines and local small family-owned restaurants that offer discounts and welcome any Stetson student willing to stop by! 

Ciara Kelley ’24