Touchstone • The Reporter • WHAT Radio

Hatter Network

Touchstone • The Reporter • WHAT Radio

Hatter Network

Touchstone • The Reporter • WHAT Radio

Hatter Network

Post Archives by Month
Unpacked: With President Roellke
Staff Who Care: Recognizing Stetsons Humble Heroes
Letter From The Editor
View All

Renaissance Edition: Letters from the Editor

With the last Reporter edition of the school year also comes touches of bittersweet renewal as we say goodbye to old leaders and welcome the new. As we bid adieu to this chapter, I’m thrilled to hand over the Reporter reins to Sara Ward, the new Executive Editor. 

Alis Cadena, Executive Editor 2023-2024

—————————————————————————————————————————————–

Following our Renaissance theme, I’m excited to turn the page and open another chapter in The Reporter’s saga. For me, Renaissance represents combining the new and old to create something great. I’ve been at this whole journalism game for a long while now. It all started in middle school when I fell in love with telling people’s stories, and I haven’t stopped reporting since. I was on the yearbook staff for five years, where I took a plethora of photos, talked to all sorts of people and even fought a school board— twice. I look forward to tying this experience into the new adventures that await me at The Reporter. 

I dedicate my first letter to the editor to Danielle Pomeranz for getting me to where I am now, Alis for setting me up for success, Reagan for being the best partner in crime and of course, to all of you for following me along on this new journey. 

Sara Ward, Staff Writer

In the spirit of Renaissance, with the old becoming new and all that, I’m so excited to hand this part of the Reporter tradition off to the new Managing Editor of the Reporter, Reagan Shivers.

Carlye Mahler, Managing Editor 2023-2024

When Carlye asked me to brainstorm themes for this issue, I had so many ideas I wanted to express – new beginnings, a new season and the dreaded near event of watching my best friends and fellow Reporter editors walk the graduation stage – a mixed bag, I know. Renaissance has a personal meaning to me, but I hope it’s something that readers can find their own beginnings in. Within this issue, you will find ancient religions, cultures and buildings (shout out to Elizabeth Hall), but you’ll also find the beauty of using these elements to form a more insightful and accessible future. 

So, I give a toast to personal growth, opportunity and the future successes of the Reporter and readers alike.

Reagan Shivers, News Editor

This is weirdly sad for me, if I’m being completely honest. I feel like I was passed down this role and I had to make it my own, and the team was a huge part of what that meant for me. I’ve spent the last two years working on this magazine, this team’s sustainability, and establishing the Creative Branch as a valid and vital part of Hatter Network. This role deserved to be so much more than just me. It deserves to be different styles and perspectives converging to create a project that reflects Stetsons vibrant community of designers and digital artists. And I’m beyond happy with how far it’s come, and moreover, I’m beyond proud to be passing the baton to someone so talented and capable. Michelle, take it away ♡

Hayden Collins, Creative Director 2022-2024

Hello! My name is Michelle Marshall, and I am the incoming Creative Director of the Creative Team at Hatter Network! My predecessor, Hayden has carried the responsibility of establishing the Creative Branch of Hatter Network and giving it a voice of its own– this means I have some big shoes to fill! This role is an opportunity I am ecstatic to take on. Any designer will tell you the magic that happens when students who love art and design come together to add to something as pivotal as student media. This is the part of my job I am looking forward to the most! I’m excited to see the creative cogwheels spin as my peers and I define how we will channel our artistry, teamwork and talents to make the Creative Branch better everyday. 

As students, we are both the facilitators of conversation, as well as the topic!

Michelle Marshall, Creative Staff

I am honored to have spent the last year as Hatter Network’s Editor-In-Chief, and I am thrilled to pass this title on to Ali Burgess for the 2024-2025 academic year. Thank you for taking the time to pick up this issue of The Reporter, for reading my last Letter From The Editor and for reading Ali’s first one.

Once a Hatter, Always a Hatter.

Cas Bradley, Editor-In-Chief 2023-2024

To write this now feels surreal and in the essence of growth and change for me. Seeing all of the work put into this issue and the Reporter this past year has truly felt like a renaissance in motion. To all the seniors who leave the Reporter with this final issue, I hope you are proud of all the permanent marks you have made– the beauty, the passion and the art on these pages. I know that this issue is not only a beginning for me, as rising Editor-in-Chief, but for so many other amazing individuals who will carry on the legacy of the Reporter. I know in these pages, you will find something that gives you a taste of your own personal renaissance. 

Hats off my dear friends, this is just the beginning.

Ali Burgess,

Executive Editor of Touchstone