Leading Hatters: Leading Within SGA

Lana Kaczmarek, Writer - The Reporter

While accepting her position as the new Vice President of the Student Government Association for the 2018-2019 academic year, she reflects on the steps that have helped her achieve her goals thus far.

Lauren Spratt ‘19, currently studies Political Science, History, Philosophy, and Business Law at Stetson and has dreamed of running for vice president since her freshman year.

“I’m really passionate about student government and I wanted to get as involved as I could to make a difference on campus,” said Spratt.

By serving as vice president, Spratt will have the opportunity to work on big projects while still being heavily involved with the Senators.

Although Spratt had been working towards being elected as VP, she did not always think she would run.

“I think if you had told me back in high school I was going to run for SGA VP, I wouldn’t have believed I was capable,” admitted Spratt.

Despite her doubts, Spratt has grown as a leader through her involvement in a variety of organizations on campus. She has worked with SGA as the Chair of the Academic Affairs Committee and is currently the Chief of Staff. She has also served as a VP of Academics for the Panhellenic Executive Council. As well as working as a Student Ambassador, she serves on the University Council on Curriculum and Academic Policy as the voting student representative and participates as a member of Stetson Votes.

“I don’t know if it’s so much that I wanted to be a leader, but more that I just wanted to be involved on campus. I love getting to do a lot of different things wherever I am. As a result, I like going for leadership positions so I can get more involved,”  Spratt shared.

Spratt leads through example by showing others the importance of caring about Stetson, caring about others, and caring about what they do.

Her election as VP has become a symbol of how Spratt has grown since coming to Stetson.

“After it was officially declared that Danny and I were elected, I couldn’t help but feel excited. We have a lot of ideas we are wanting to try and now we have that opportunity,” she said.

Once she graduates, Spratt hopes to volunteer with AmeriCorps for a year. Following that, she wants to attend law school and eventually work in Washington D.C.