Touchstone • The Reporter • WHAT Radio

Hatter Network

Touchstone • The Reporter • WHAT Radio

Hatter Network

Touchstone • The Reporter • WHAT Radio

Hatter Network

Post Archives by Month
Unpacked: With President Roellke
Staff Who Care: Recognizing Stetsons Humble Heroes
Letter From The Editor
View All

Letters from the Editors

This semester is just flying by: one minute we were studying for midterms, a little 140th anniversary in between, and now finals have us busy counting down the days till it’s time to go home. During this issue of the Reporter, our team of writers worked in a period of stress and pressure that accompanies the last bit of the semester. Stress, classes, stress, studying and repeat– a cycle that, at the end of the day, is the epitome of a swamped college student. 

In this pond of stories, you’ll be able to relate to music majors as they talk about their own busy lives, discover the lilipads of stress and coping methods during exam season, and learn about some hot topic news that’ll bring a new perspective. While you may have various papers and energy drinks scattered across your desk, this magazine is a perfect way to prop your legs up and destress through our gift for you. 

As the last issue for the semester, we wish you a happy exam season and winter break! We look forward to presenting you with eye-catching, new stories when we return to campus. 

Happy Reading, 

Alis Cadena

Dear Reader,

When we began writing the Swamped issue of the Reporter, we knew it would line up with finals season here at Stetson so I’m sure plenty of you are feeling that mixture of exhaustion, anxiety and frustration. Writing and editing this issue while in two senior research classes and applying to grad school has had me relating to this theme a touch more than I’d like to admit. Let’s just say I’m writing this letter at 2:32AM with an empty Alani Nu just inches from my laptop. 

Within the pages you’ll find excellent stories from our team of talented writers. Some of my personal favorites include deep dives into the place of AI in academia and a trek into nature to examine environmental initiatives being pushed locally. 

There are truly lots of helpful resources on campus if you too are feeling over-scheduled or just plain overwhelmed. All I’ve got to add to those voices is the reminder that I’m right there with you, totally swamped.

Gotta run!

Carlye

Dear Reader,

I joined a rowing team and became a coxswain nearly ten years ago. My job is to steer the boat, improve it during practice and win on race day. However, my top priority as a coxswain is safety. I do all I can to avoid putting my boat in scenarios where we get swamped, but I can only do so much. Some variables, however, are simply out of my control. When the weather gets bad while we’re out on the water, or when a careless boater sends a wake crashing over the side of our boat, my primary concern is to get my rowers back to the dock safely and in one piece. 

Here’s my advice for when the water gets rough: Keep your eye on the goal, control what you can control and find a way to adapt to whatever else gets thrown your way. Serious reflection can wait until you’ve got your feet on solid ground. 

For those of you who feel like you’re drowning in papers, projects and finals right now: You can do it. Keep calm, make a plan and stick to it. You’ve got this. 

Stressed but Surviving,

Cas Bradley, Editor-In-Chief

Dear Reader,

I joined a rowing team and became a coxswain nearly ten years ago. My job is to steer the boat, improve it during practice, and win on race day. However, my top priority as a coxswain is safety. I do all I can to avoid putting my boat in scenarios where we get swamped, but I can only do so much. Some variables, however, are simply out of my control. When the weather gets bad while we’re out on the water, or when a careless boater sends a wake crashing over the side of our boat, my primary concern is to get my rowers back to the dock safely and in one piece. Here is what I do in swampy, scary situations:

1. Problem-solve. I start from the goal and work my way backwards, coming up with a step-by-step plan that overcomes every challenge that stands in our way. 
  2. Communicate. In situations like this, I need my rowers to understand and trust my plan, and to remain calm so they can execute it as efficiently and effectively as possible. I keep my tone serious but calm, and I explain my thought process if I sense they need me to do so. 
  3. Adapt. Things can change in a moment’s notice. I have to keep to my plan as much as possible, but recognize that I may need to adjust it. Additionally, if some part of my plan fails, I don’t have time to feel bad about it or doubt myself. All I can do is figure out why it failed and find a new approach. 

When the water gets rough, here’s my advice: Keep your eye on the goal, control what you can control and find a way to adapt to whatever else gets thrown your way. Serious reflection can wait until you’ve got your feet on solid ground. 

Safety is the top priority of a coxswain on a rowing team. Sure, we yell and steer to help our boat improve at practice and win on race day, but at the end of the day my job is to get my rowers and our equipment back to the dock safely and in one piece. Sometimes, the only variables I need to worry about are my own skills in making calls and steering.  Other times, there are variables that are out of my control. A speedboat could send waves crashing over the sides of our shell, or our lovely Florida skies could open up and downpour on us in an instant and without any warning… There are hundreds of ways for a row to go wrong. 

What I’ve learned over the years is to learn from it, “it” being whatever chaos gets thrown at my boat, and to leave it on the water.

Dear Reader,

If you’re anything like myself or the other lovely editors that work hard every semester to bring you these magazines… You’re probably tired. It’s about that time in the semester, and no matter how long you’ve been in school, neck-deep in academics, I think it’s safe to say we all feel a little swamped right now. 

I wanted to take a moment to remind you that you’re not alone in this. This issue is filled with stories of stress, triumphs and everything in between, and it’s fair to say those are shared experiences. We’re all navigating the challenges that come with being a student, and I hope it serves as a comforting reminder that you’re not the only one feeling the weight of it all. Sometimes, knowing that others are in the same boat can make the journey a little more bearable as you row through this swampy season of life. 

The team has poured their hearts into creating something that reflects the essence of our shared struggles. So, take a break from the chaos and cozy up with a warm drink because we could all use a break. 

Chilling in the swamp of senioritis,

Hayden