Touchstone • The Reporter • WHAT Radio

Hatter Network

Touchstone • The Reporter • WHAT Radio

Hatter Network

Touchstone • The Reporter • WHAT Radio

Hatter Network

Post Archives by Month
Unpacked: With President Roellke
Staff Who Care: Recognizing Stetsons Humble Heroes
Letter From The Editor
View All

Artistic Sights and Artisanal Snacks

Studying abroad can be daunting, especially when the main focus is art. Most students find themselves gravitating towards different aspects of the travel, whether it be the sites, the shows, or even the sips. Though, during most study abroad trips, students are tasked with spending hours in museums each day, and when you are not quite sure what you are looking at and why, it can feel like you are lost in more ways than one. As recent travelers ourselves, we aim to provide any aspiring study abroad student with a crash course introduction to some of the most influential artistic periods and artisanal eats using our own experiences after the London and Paris study abroad course. Thus, we paired the knowledge of art we gained with some historical hors d’oeuvres for you to enjoy!

Renaissance (1495-1527) 

Heard of the Mona Lisa? Then you have definitely dabbled in some Renaissance art. With its most popular works being attributed to artists like Leanardo da Vinci and Michelangelo, the Renaissance Period provides a plethora of popular pieces still referred to in and out of the realm of art today. Roughly dating from the late 15th century to the mid 16th, the Renaissance embodied cultural rebirth. The heavy focus on ideas of realism and human anatomy is showcased by the paintings and sculptures of the period. And even though the era spearheaded a new rebirth, many of its artworks still depicted traditional biblical scenes, demonstrating that there was still a strong sense of tradition at least in subject matter. Some famous works include The Birth of Venus (1484-1486), The Last Supper (1495-1498), and The Arnolfini Portrait (1434).

Baroque (1600-1725)

Following the Renaissance came the Baroque period. This era of art moved away from more traditional depictions of Christ and biblical scenes, instead highlighting the power of mankind. To counter the Renaissance, Baroque artists focused on irregular, exaggerated, and dynamic imagery in their work, which is why many people still use the term Baroque to mean bizarre. Peter Paul Rubens, Caravaggio, and Diego Velázquez are some of the most notable artists from this period known for their dramatic, lavish scenes. The Calling of St. Matthew (1600) and Portrait of Innocent X (1650) are two popular Baroque paintings still referenced in art classrooms today. 

Romanticism (1800-1850)

Around the close of the 18th century, the next period of art took shape: the Romantic era. Contrary to its name, the Romantic period was not all lovey-dovey romance, but it did mark a large shift towards sentimentality in art. In an effort to move away from ideals that ruled the previous periods like reason, Romantic artists celebrated a new way to view the world. Through an emphasis on feeling and the subconscious, art became much more imaginative. Most artists from the time may not be as well-known as those from other periods, but the works of Henry Fuseli, Eugène Delacroix, and many others exemplified the movement towards emotion and sensation taking importance over older Enlightenment ideas, such as reason. 

Impressionism (1870-1900)

After Romanticism opened the door to more imaginative, derivative work, the late 19th century marked the birth of Impressionism. Still one of the most popular artistic periods to date, the Impressionist era was centered around expression and full abandonment of traditional colors and practices. Vincent van Gogh, Claude Monet, Camille Pissarro, and several others are famed for their style and Impressionist techniques. Many artists shifted their focus to natural scenes, capturing the complexity of the outer world without sacrificing bold colors and lighting. New and expressive paint application was also introduced in the period emphasizing thick, confident brush strokes and stippling. The techniques forced artists and viewers alike to leave behind the concept of realism, instead focusing on the bigger picture rather than up-close detail. 

Post-Impressionism (1880-1920)

Even within Impressionism, artists sought to break more boundaries in their art. A lot of the same artists that helped to lead the Impressionist era, like Paul Gauguin, Vincent van Gogh, Paul Cézanne, broke away from the limits of Impressionism to create work in a new Post-Impressionist period. Many aspects of Impressionism remained in practice, but Post-Impressionism built upon the vibrant colors and bold mark-making in an even more exaggerated and personal manner. Artists chose to pursue more personal subject matter and rejected the limitations of basic outdoor scenes commonly portrayed in Impressionism. There was a growing interest to create art in solitude and produce more spiritually expressive works as opposed to naturalistic approaches. 

Food Stuff

Renaissance (1495-1527) 

• Chèvre rôti sur toast et salades vertes (Goat cheese on toast served on salad) from A La Petite Chaise.
  • This earthy, buttery, goat cheese is from the oldest restaurant in France. It was made famous for being a meeting place for some of the great minds of the time such as George Sand, the French novelist, mirroring the development of ideas that the Renaissance period is known for. 

Baroque (1600-1725)

• Passionfruit macaron
  • Nothing says “man-made” like a macaron. The use of fruity flavors in such a delicate pastry is an exercise in excess. Much like the ornate and beautiful wealth of the Baroque art however, it manages to balance it beautifully.

Romanticism (1800-1850)

• Chocolate croissant
  • Something about the flaky layers of a French croissant just feels romantic. Whether it’s the corny tourist in us or the French foodie, they just feel Romantic.

Impressionism (1870-1900)

• Prawn cocktail potato chips (Walkers brand)
  • Hear me out! Up close these flavors make very little sense to the American palate, but once you back up and enjoy the bigger picture of the flavors, it creates something beautiful.

Post-Impressionism (1880-1920)

• Dill and beetroot salmon gravlax, lemon and yuzu cream
  • Leaning into the emphasis on color and line, this beautiful plating mirrors the post-impressionist love of bold brush strokes and colors that pop.