Stetson COVID-19 Updates – 3/24

Today, at 11:07 a.m. Lua Hancock, Vice President of Campus Life and Student Success, sent out an email update pertaining to COVID-19. 

Latest Decisions That Were Made:

• No parking tickets will be given out for the rest of the semester except for illegally parked vehicles (handicap spaces, loading areas, etc.).

Virtual enrollment tours begin Friday morning, March 27. There will not be on-campus tours at any Stetson campus.

• Starting Friday, March 27, no visitors will be allowed on any Stetson campus unless approved by a Vice President or the Athletic Director. 
    • All visitors must fill out the Visitor Form prior to being approved to come to any campus.
  • Beginning on Wednesday, March 25, buildings on the DeLand campus will be accessible only by the Stetson community.
    • By 9 a.m. tomorrow, March 25, all buildings will be on key or card swipe access only and open to all faculty, staff and students. 
    • If you need help with your card working please contact Beth Eaton, Public Safety administrative assistant at 386-822-7310.
    • If you need a replacement card, please go to One Stop in the Welcome Center.
  • As previously reported, The Commons, Einstein Brothers, BYOB, and the coffee shop are take-out only, with curb-side pick-up. 
  • The Commons is not accepting cash, and hours of operation and locations will change starting Friday.
  • A commencement survey will go out late next week to DeLand graduating students. Responses to that survey will inform the work of the senior celebration.
  • Additional leave may be available to employees whose family is negatively impacted by COVID-19 due to illness or the closing of childcare facilities. For more information on this benefit, please see the Coronavirus Communication website Faculty/Staff page.

Important New Information About Stetson operations & Access to Services

Public Safety: Use Stetson Safety App, a Blue Light Phone, or call 386-822-7300 to get in contact with Public Safety.

Parking

• Park in any lot for the remainder of the semester. 
  • Tickets will only be issued for vehicles parked illegally (handicapped without appropriate tag/placard, loading zones, fire lanes). 
  • All vehicles must display a Stetson parking sticker and be registered. 
  • If you are unable to remove a vehicle from campus contact Public Safety, 386-822-7300.

For Students Vacating Residence Halls:

• All students that are not staying on campus, needed to be moved out of their residence hall by 3/23 at 8 p.m. 
    •  If you are unable to do so, contact Danann Bledsoe in Residential Living and Learning. 
  • Remember that all requirements of the Code of Community Standards remain in effect. Violations will be addressed as necessary with appropriate sanctions. 
    • Additionally, the difficult situation of addressing a global pandemic raises the expectations that the Stetson community will continue to work together to ensure the safety and well-being of all members.

Report It 

Please continue to report concerns about things you see or experience in the community through Report It. You can report concerns with Title IX, Community Standards, Bias Reports, Honor Council reports, and wellbeing concerns. These reports will be followed up with by the appropriate staff.

Dining Services:

Starting this Friday, March 27, hours will be:

• Einstein Bros Bagels and BYOB will be closed until further notice
  • The Commons 
    • Daily Brunch: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
    • Daily Dinner: 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Coffee Shop 
    • Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.

If you need to add HatterBucks to your account, you may contact One Stop

Post Office/Mail:

The campus Post Office will remain open with normal business hours from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. If you want to have mail forwarded to a non-Stetson address, use this form.

Bookstore:

The bookstore is open Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

One Stop (Registrar, Bursar, Financial Aid)

All One Stop functions are operating with staff available in-person and remotely 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m, Monday through Friday. Phone call or email to discuss your needs before coming to the One Stop. Students planning to return to Stetson for the 2020-21 Academic Year should complete their FAFSA as soon as possible. 

Student Employment:

Please continue to communicate with your supervisor and Nora Huth (386-822-7172) about work schedules and assignments.

Dean of Students:

The Dean’s Office Hours are being held as normally scheduled on Tuesdays from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. in person on the CUB porch with appropriate social distancing and also virtually

Health Service:

Health Service continues to be available to Stetson students and employees and is open regular hours, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Please call 386-822-7300 for more information.

Student Counseling Services:

• Crisis, consultation and on-going services are available with counselors by phone
  • Well-Connect: Call 833-848-1765- This phone service continues to be available to all students, no matter where they are located 24/7. 

Academic Support: All of Academic Success’s services are still available virtually. There is a web page that provides information on services and access.

Academic Advising: 

• Advising will be offering support to students virtually through the Microsoft Teams platform, phone appointments, and in person by appointment. 
  • Students will also be referred and connected to their faculty advisor for their primary advising needs. 
  • Students are also welcome to contact the advising team for advising support questions, advising labs, registration dates, holds on account, as well as any other concerns.

Accommodations and Disability Services

• Accessibility Services will remain available and continue to service our students. 
  • We have communicated with faculty regarding specific accommodations to help with the transition to online learning for the duration of the Spring 2020 semester. 
  • Our professional staff will continue to meet with students via phone or video chat. We will continue to hold meetings scheduled with Stetson SSC.
  • If you have any questions or concerns about accommodations, please contact this email

Academic Support 

• Tutoring and SPI is now serving all students in a virtual environment using Microsoft Teams. 
    • All subjects will remain available and students can join their respective “team” where virtual sessions will be hosted at the regular listed times. Contact Courtney Grasley, Academic Success Coordinator for Tutoring and SPI, with any questions.
  • Success Coaching: Success Coaching will continue to be available to all students via over the phone sessions, or over video chat on Microsoft Teams.
    •  Students can make appointments through Stetson SSC by pressing the blue “Get Assistance” button, emailing Student Success, or calling the Hollis Family Student Success Center at (386)-822-7345.
  • Assistance for Student Athletes: Student-Athlete Academic Services will continue serving students using virtual platforms such as Microsoft Teams, phone appointments, as well as email. 
    • Tutoring services for student-athletes will continue availability to all students via Microsoft Teams. If you are experiencing difficulties or have further questions about tutoring, please contact this email or Jeremiah Nails.

Wellness & Recreation:

• The Hollis Center is closed until further notice.
  • Wellness & Recreation provides virtual opportunities for the community to engage in health and wellness regardless of their geographical location including:
    • Fitness: #FitFam, Exercise of the Day, Tips, BetterU
    • Sport Programs: Intramural Sport Online Competitions, Club Officer transitions, Club Budget Proposal Hearings, Club Point Cup Engagement 
    • Health Promotion: (Instagram Stories), Produce of the Month, Health Hatters Series, Alcohol and other Drug Education, Stress Less, Take Back the Night, etc. 

For the most up to date information on virtual health, programming on well-being, fitness opportunities, online intramurals, and incentives, be sure to follow Well Team and Intramural Sports and continue to check Stetson Today for announcements. 

Religious & Spiritual Life:

• Pastoral care: Chaplains will hold one-on-one meetings in-person or via technology. Chaplains will continue to manage outreach regarding students and hospitalization, grief, etc.
  • Contemplative practices: Meditations are being conducted online at 8 a.m. on Wednesdays. Contact Sensei Morris Sullivan.
  • Hillel: Every Friday, there will be a live stream of candles, kiddush, and challah. If you are interested in participating, contact Sam Friedman. All birthright trips in May are cancelled. There is a possibility they will be rescheduled for June but will know this by April 15. Any student interested in receiving Passover matzah and soup should contact Sam Friedman,.

Office of Diversity & Inclusion:

Cross Cultural Center: Remains open and staffed 40 hours per week by student employees, Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Look for Instagram Live videos about LGBTQ+ Day of Silence on April 8 and Stress Awareness Month, as well as updates on what is happening at the CCC and other ways to maintain connection!

Student Development & Campus Vibrancy:

All activities for LEAD, FOCUS, Fraternity & Sorority Involvement, and Campus Organizations will move forward on a virtual platform. 

Career & Professional Development:

• The office is open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. 
  • All career advising services are provided ONLY virtually through phone or video appointments.
  • Students can still take advantage of the various services and career competency information (assessing personality, exploring careers and majors, internship/job searching, and preparing for graduate/professional education) available on our webpage
  •  There will also be online internship orientation and virtual career fairs available in April. 

Students Seeking Summer Internships: Notifications will be posted on HatterJobs and the CaPD web page. Communications may come from social media and email about availability. 

Especially for graduating students: You will receive a phone call offering assistance with your future plans during March and April.

Technical Assistance:

Stetson’s Office of Information Technology is available for assistance with MyStetson, Blackboard, and email. There are several online resources at the main IT page and an online form to submit problems.

Free Internet

Charter, the parent company of Spectrum News, operates in 41 states and services 29 million customers including health care facilities, first responders, and government offices. According to Charter, “Charter will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps.” To enroll in the free broadband and WiFi program, you can call 1-844-488-8395. 

Where to Find More Information

Stetson University will connect with you throughout the remainder of the semester, likely daily, in order to maintain and support the Hatter community:

What Do If You or Someone Else is Sick or Fears Exposure? 

Any member of the Stetson community who has been to campus in the last 14 days and feels they may have come into direct contact with the virus causing COVID-19 or is experiencing flu-like symptoms (fever over 100.3, cough, shortness of breath) should alert Stetson immediately. 

Stay updated with Stetson’s COVID-19 Website for information.