Touchstone • The Reporter • WHAT Radio

Hatter Network

Touchstone • The Reporter • WHAT Radio

Hatter Network

Touchstone • The Reporter • WHAT Radio

Hatter Network

Post Archives by Month
Unpacked: With President Roellke
Staff Who Care: Recognizing Stetsons Humble Heroes
Letter From The Editor
View All

Letters From the Editors

Letters From the Editors

Dear Reader, 

We are back again with the second Issue of the Fall semester! Within the first few weeks of classes, the Stetson community has gone through quite a bit with Hurricane Idalia having made its way across Florida. Now that things are finally settling down, we here at the Reporter wanted to ensure one crucial something was not amiss through all the chaos: Stetson’s 140th anniversary. This issue displays celebration through multiple topics, including Disney, Hispanic Heritage Month, and various birthday cultures. 

By celebrating these groups, we honor the impacts they made on the people around us and ourselves. Regardless of how you identify or relate to any of the groups we talk about in this issue, we want you to embrace and become a part of the culture in which they have existed through the ages and present. Most of all, we hope these stories allow you to get into the celebratory spirit and appreciate the campus we walk on daily. Being the oldest private school in Florida, Stetson deserves every bit of love we can offer as it comes in clutch once again in 2023. 

Happy Reading, 

Alis Cadena

Hey Party People!

Congratulations on being a member of this tight-knit community at such an exciting time; the 140th anniversary is a chance to reflect on what we love about Stetson and how many people before us have had the opportunity to love it as well. You’ll find within these pages birthday traditions from cultures around the globe, a sugary sweet edition of Unpacked with some stellar baking tips and a dive in the SURE grant, so there’s plenty to feel festive about. 

Call us cheesy, but we wanted to show our appreciation by having a classic birthday party for Stetson University. So why not join in on the party? Put up your streamers, toss some confetti and get the good buttercream from Publix. It might not quite be your birthday right now, but I’m willing to bet that you have one this year!

To Many More Years,

Carlye Mahler

Hey, Hatters! 

This part of the semester always seems to bring challenges. Sickness spreads as the temperature changes, stressors build up as midterm grades come back, and finals become the next ominous deadline. The Reporter staff decided now was the perfect time to take a break from the semester’s stress and bring you something to smile about. 

As might be able to tell from the cover photo, we decided to center this issue of The Reporter around the 140th anniversary of our university. Everything about this issue was created with joy, fun, and celebration as our inspiration, and I hope you feel that energy as you read through. 

I also hope this issue inspires you to find something to celebrate today. Whether it’s a big and important accomplishment like passing a midterm you were worried about, or something small like getting out of bed this morning, take a moment to celebrate your success. You deserve it! 

So here’s to 140 years of Stetson University, midterms being over, the steady approach of sweater weather, and finally… here’s to you, reader, and a wonderful rest of the Fall 2023 semester. 

Go, Hatters!

Cas Bradley, Editor In Chief

Dear Reader,

I’m absolutely thrilled to share the newest, most-sprinkle-covered edition of our magazine to date with you! It’s been a labor of love from our dedicated team, and I’ve got a hunch you’ll be smitten with it. Inside, you’ll find a real treasure trove of remarkable articles, interviews and stories that vividly showcase the myriad of ways we celebrate life. Whether it’s discovering how different cultures throw their parties or joining in on the festivities for our university’s birthday, there’s a lot of fun to be had. So, why not come along and make this birthday bash truly unforgettable with us?

I hope you enjoy reading this issue as much as I enjoyed designing it. Please cozy up, maybe with a slice of cake and enjoy!

Warm Wishes,
Hayden Collins