Stetson basketball looks forward to continue conference play

Women’s Basketball vs. Bethune-Cookman University. Photo by Alicia Sapirman.

Morgan Ann Eiland, Sports Writer

The Stetson men’s and women’s basketball teams are continuing to practice and play hard to compete against their conference opponents. While it was winter break for most Stetson students, the basketball players were working hard on campus, with the men’s team playing seven games during the four-week break and the women’s team competing in six games. During the break, the Hatters began their first round of conference play.

The women’s team (14-5, 3-1 ASUN) finished off the break with two wins on the road against Kennesaw State and Lipscomb. The men’s team (8-13, 1-4 ASUN) finished their break with away games against Kennesaw State and Lipscomb as well, but unfortunately were not able to produce wins for either game.

As of yesterday, the women’s team dropped to second in the NCAA team free throw shooting category with a percentage of .814. Brianti Saunders holds a rank of her own in the individual free throw shooting category. She is ranked second in the country with a .929 percentage. Breana Bey also leads the ASUN in field goal percentage with .604 and is ranked 16th in the NCAA.

This past week, the women’s team hosted USC Upstate at home, defeating the Spartans 80-68. Their next game will be held tomorrow in the Edmunds Center, where they will take on NJIT at 7:00 PM. The men’s team also competed against USC Upstate, falling to the Spartans 86-97. However, they produced a win last Thursday when they hosted NJIT, winning 82-76. Their next game will be this Wednesday, January 25th, at Jacksonville University at 7:00 PM.