SGA Highlights – 2/5

EASE

What is SGA doing?

SGA has been tabling outside of the CUB to encourage students to write postcards to send a message to the state government to convince them to reject the proposed cuts. The letter-writing campaign will be occurring until Feb. 14. SGA is reaching out to other private institutions across Florida to encourage action across their campuses as well. Representatives of SGA will be contacting State Senator, Rob Bradley, the Chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee and State Representative, Travis Cummings, Chair of the House Appropriations Committee. SGA will be promoting the rejection of cuts through social media on their Instagram:

• This Instagram highlight provides information about EASE and how EASE impacts FL undergraduates that attend a private institution. This highlight also explains what the proposed cut is and what could happen as a result of the cut. 
  • This post from SGA gives ideas on what Stetson students can do to save EASE. 
  • Click here for the Save EASE Instagram account.

What can be done as a Stetson student to save EASE?

One of the easiest ways to help save EASE is to stop by the SGA table in front of the CUB next week, Monday through Thursday, between 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and fill out a letter. There is not a limit on how many can be written. If anyone is helping you pay for tuition, tell them about the proposed cuts. Encourage people using EASE to write their own letters, make phone calls, and send emails. The more our state representatives hear about EASE from a diverse population of people, the more likely they are to listen. 

Hatterthon 

Every year, 135,000 children are treated at Orlando Health Arnold Palmer. Hatterthon is Stetson’s annual Dance Marathon. Hatterthon has a mission to help sick and injured children at our local hospital, Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children, and it needs your support. Our local hospital treats thousands of children each year, regardless of what they are experiencing—either an illness or an injury. The children at Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children are facing scary obstacles, like having to deal with cancer, cystic fibrosis, and injuries, at such a young age. 

Hatterthon will be held this year on Saturday, Feb. 22. It is a 10-hour event, with check-in beginning at 10:30 a.m., with the main event starting at 11:30 a.m., and the closing ceremony starting at 9 p.m. Hatterthon’s mission is to raise funds and awareness for our local children’s hospital. This year there is a $7 registration fee which will cover an event t-shirt and a meal at the event. If you have any questions, reach out to [email protected]. 

Register for Hatterthon here! 

Model Senate 

This year will be Stetson’s 49th Floyd M. Riddick Model United States Senate. To provide the experience and the education for student participants, the annual Stetson University Model U.S. Senate replicates the actual process of procedures and activities of the United States Senate. Each student is assigned a senator in one of five legislative committees: the Committee on Armed Services, Environment and Public Works, Foreign Relations, Judiciary and Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. Each committee is responsible for researching and introducing a variety of bills. 

This year’s Model Senate will be taking place from Thursday, March 26 to Saturday, March 28. Click on this link to read more about Model Senate. If you are interested and want more information, contact the Student Coordinator of Model United United States Senate, George Alderman

Upcoming Dates

Shabbat

• Hosted by: Hillel
  • Time: Friday, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. 
  • Location: Allen Hall

Late Night Vibes 

• Time: Tomorrow, Friday, Feb.7, 6 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. 
  • Location: Stetson Room (CUB, Room 230)

Open House 

• Time: Saturday, Feb. 15

Beer & Yoga

• Time: Thursday, Feb. 20, 4 p.m to 6 p.m
  • Location: Stetson Green 
  • Lua Hancock, Vice President for Campus Life and Student Success, will be teaching yoga 

Follow SGA for updates.