SGA Highlights – 1/22

SGA Highlights. Written by: Jenny Fang.

SGA Elections 

Stetson SGA is a body of undergraduates that are the representatives of the university. The goals of SGA include consistently informing and leading constituency as well as executing necessary changes in the Stetson Community. If you are interested in running to be a class senator, a senator at large, chair, vice president, or president for SGA, declare your candidacy between March 16 and March 20. Campaigning for SGA elections will be starting on March 2 and SGA elections will occur on April 1. 

Campus life

Chair of Campus Life, Robby Mahalo (‘21) is getting in contact with Bryd scooters and working on establishing a program from renting scooters on campus. 

MLK Resolution

A resolution was presented and proposed on Wednesday, Jan. 15, at the event MLK: Life and Legacy by Stephanie D’Addio (‘22), Chair for the Committee on Diversity and Inclusion, to celebrate and honor the life and legacy of Dr. King. The resolution was passed yesterday.

This Resolution reads:  

“WHEREAS Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. devoted his life to service, advocating for forward progress within the African American Civil Rights Movement,

WHEREAS Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. fought against injustice and empowered people through his words and actions,

WHEREAS Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. paved the path for every person to come who fights for social justice and human rights,

WHEREAS Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. achieved seemingly impossible goals with his strength, courage, and persistence,

WHEREAS Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. led one of the greatest movements for equality and freedom in history,

WHEREAS Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. inspired a new generation of young people to follow in his steps to create the future we need to see and this legacy will continue to be passed down for every generation to come through events like this one,

WHEREAS the Stetson University Student Government Association recognizes and appreciates the immense sacrifices and contributions of Dr. Martin Luther King to this country,

WHEREAS the Stetson University Student Government Association wishes to honor Dr. King’s legacy by upholding his ideals and by being active in the ongoing fight for equity and equality for all people,

WHEREAS the Stetson University Student Government Association is committed to ensuring the prosperity of all students on our campus regardless of Race, Ethnicity, Religion, Sexuality, or Gender Identity,

WHEREAS the Stetson University Student Government Association is a representative body that advocates in the best interest of ALL students,

WHEREAS the Stetson University Student Government Association promotes inclusive excellence on our campus in the present while drawing inspiration from the teachings of timeless leaders like Dr. King,

WHEREAS the Stetson University Student Government Association will continue to fight to achieve Dr. King’s vision of a just, free, and equal society with an emphasis in a quality public education system,

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE STETSON UNIVERSITY STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION:

RESOLVED the Stetson University Student Government Association challenges every person to be an active participant in the ongoing fight for equality of all people and to be of service to their fellow humans. And be it further

RESOLVED the Stetson University Student Government Association encourages every person in observance of this day and Dr. King’s legacy to commit themselves to service of the human race through acts of kindness, advocacy, empowerment, and support of all people not only today but every day.”

Hatterthon 

Hatterthon is Stetson’s annual Miracle Network Dance Marathon on Feb. 22, 2020. This year Hatterthon is a 10-hour event, with check-in beginning at 10:30 am, with the main event starts at 11:30 pm and the closing ceremony starting at 9:00 pm. Hatterthon’s mission is to raise funds and awareness for our local hospital, Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children. Every year, 135,000 children are treated at Orlando Health Arnold Palmer. This year there is a $7 registration fee which will cover an event t-shirt and a meal at the event. If there are any questions feel free to reach out to [email protected]. 

Register for Hatterthon here! 

49th Floyd M. Riddick Model United States Senate (Model Senate)

This year will be Stetson’s 49th Floyd M. Riddick Model United States Senate.

In order to provide the experience and the education for student participants, the annual  Model Senate replicates the actual process of procedures and activities of the United States Senate. Each student is assigned a senator in one of five legislative committees: the Committee on Armed Services, Environment and Public Works, Foreign Relations, Judiciary and Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. Each committee is responsible for researching and introducing a variety of bills. 

This year’s Model Senate will be taking place from Thursday, March 26 to Saturday, March 28. 

Click on this link to read more about Model Senate

The registration deadline is Feb. 17. Click this link to register for Model Senate

If you are interested and want more information, contact the Student Coordinator of Model Senate, George Alderman

Upcoming Events

Sundae Bar 

• Time: Wednesday, Jan. 29, 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
  • Location: CUB Commons 

Follow SGA for updates.