SGA Highlights – 9/2

SGA Highlights. Written by Jenny Fang.

• As of Sept.1, The COVID-19 Tracking web page includes detailed information on Tier 1 and displays a dashboard for data regarding isolation and cases from the past seven days.
  • Chair of Diversity and Inclusions, Stephanie D’Addio, is finalizing ideas for a hygiene bill.
  • Director of Finance, John-Michael Liontas (‘21), attended a meeting with Zachary Beaver, Assistant Director of Student Organizations and Engagement, and Renee Dubois, Associate Director of Campus Vibrancy, regarding the allocation of funds for student organizations. There will be more information regarding funding for student organizations at a later time.

SGA Elections 

• Campaigning for SGA elections will be occurring until Sept. 9.
  • On Sept. 8, SGA will be collaborating with Stetson Votes to hold a virtual town hall and debate for SGA Presidential tickets on GoToWebinar.
  • SGA elections will be held on Sept. 9. Elections will be closed at 7 p.m on Sept. 9. 
    • Election results will be counted between 7 p.m. and 9 p.m on Sept. 9. 
    • At 9 p.m on Sept. 9., the newly elected SGA Executive Board and newly elected Senate will be sworn in.

This graphic contains more information regarding SGA elections.

Free Rapid Antigen Testing 

Tracking COVID-19 

Test results from the Stetson community are part of Deland’s and Volusia County’s test results.

Information from the COVID-19 Tracking webpage of the Safer Stetson website

As of Sept. 2., overall, from the total number of residential students who are actively positive, there is a 0.6% positivity rate for residential students.

Update: As of Sept. 5, overall, from the total number of residential students who are actively positive, there is a 0.3% positivity rate for residential students.

As of Sept. 2, there was a cumulative total of 92 cases.

• Cumulative cases from students: 89
  • Cumulative cases from employees: 3

Update: As of Sept. 5, there is a cumulative total of 93 cases. 

• Cumulative cases from students: 90
  • Cumulative cases from employees: 3

Current Active Cases on Campus

As of Sept. 2, there were 16 active cases on campus.

• Active cases from students: 15
  • Active cases from employees: 1

Update: As of Sept. 5, there are five active cases on campus.

• Active cases from students: 5
  • Active cases from employees: 0

Isolated On Campus

As of Sept. 2, 56 members of the Stetson Community were in isolation.

• There are 49 students and seven employees in isolation.

Update: As of Sept. 5, 22 members of the Stetson Community are in isolation.

• There are 17 students and five employees in isolation.

S.3: A Bill to Bring Psychoeducational Testing to Stetson University 

On behalf of the Committee on Academic Affairs and the Finance Committee, Chair of Academic Affairs, Joshua Finkelstein (‘22), and Director Liontas proposed the following bill to allocate $5,000 in funding from the SGA budget for Psychoeducational Testing (PET) for both the 2020-2021 fiscal year and 2021-2022 fiscal year to Stetson University. PET is comprehensive testing for testing the cognitive, academic, and socio-emotional functioning of college students. PET benefits college students because through PET, disabilities, and disorders such as learning disabilities, neurodevelopmental disorders, mood disorders, anxiety disorders can be identified. These disabilities and disorders may cause functional impairments regarding academic well-being, occupational well-being, and social well-being.

Whereas psychoeducational testing is defined as the study of mental processes and behavior and refers to the psychological tests used to analyze the mental processes underlying educational performance.

Whereas to make psychoeducational testing affordable for students who qualified but did not receive psychoeducational testing due to a financial constraint as determined by Stetson University’s Associated Director of Academic Success and Accessibility or of an equal position within the office of Academic Success.

Whereas the Stetson Student Government Association would supplement and support these students via the “PET Fund” of which $5,000 would be allocated from each fiscal cycle.

Whereas any student eligible to receive from the “PET Fund” may receive a maximum of $1,000 that would be received by the office of Academic Success and Accessibility and may only be allocated to psychoeducational testing. The funds would then be used by that office to purchase a psychoeducational test as identified by the Associated Director of Academic Success and Accessibility or of an equal position within the office of Academic Success for that particular student, paying for fully or partially.

Whereas the Director of Finance shall work in conjunction with the Chair of the Academic Affairs Committee to ensure that the funds allocated exhibit a positive impact upon the Stetson students that may rely on the funds as well as the student body.

Be it Resolved:

The Stetson University Student Government Association will put $5,000 towards Psychoeducational testing that will be administered by Stetson University’s Associated Director of Academic Success and Accessibility or of an equal position within the office of Academic Success. These funds will made be available yearly for a maximum of two years and upon the second year will require a renewal from the Stetson Student Government Association. The funding for this bill shall take effect beginning with the passage of the 2020 – 2021 fiscal year Stetson Student Government Association Budget.

S.3 was passed unanimously. For this vote, there were seventeen in favor. As of Sept. 2, Stetson University is the first university in the United States, receiving funding for PET Testing from SGA. 

Events 

Office of Diversity and Inclusion is hosting a series of showings and discussions titled Dismantling Antiblackness: When They See Us. This series will be showing episodes of Ava DuVernay’s Netflix Original series When They See Us and Real Talk: Let’s Talk Innocence and end with a discussion led by faculty and staff about tensions and perspectives on race and the criminal justice system in America. Cultural credit will be offered. There will also be a giveaway. 

• Sept. 9, 7 p.m. – Ep. 1: Grown UP
  • Sept. 23, 7 p.m. – Ep. 2: Family Bound
  • Oct. 14, 7 p.m. – Ep. 3: Hopeful Exoneration
  • Oct. 28, 7 p.m. – Ep. 4: Injustice Featurette
  • Oct. 29, 7 p.m. – Real Talk: Let’s Talk Innocence

Stay updated with SGA for more information.