Weekly COVID-19 Updates – 8/31

• Stetson Administration has decided to not send out emails regarding new cases on campus to the student body. 
  • If you accidentally selected “Yes” instead of “No” during any of the daily wellness checks, in the Rinker Welcome Center, there is a Wellness Station for you to fix your answer.
  • From Everbridge, the Stetson community should be able to access live data dashboards starting sometime next week.
    • Update: As of Sept.1, The COVID-19 Tracking web page includes detailed information on Tier 1 and displays a dashboard for data regarding isolation and cases from the past seven days. 
  • Please report both your concerns and the concerns of other peers regarding The Code of Community Standards and The COVID-19 Policies in the Community Standards Addendum
  • The Safer Campus Task Force (SCTF) has added modifications and additional information regarding visitor screening. These modifications have been effective since Aug. 24. 

Results from On-Campus COVID-19 Testing

Test results from the Stetson community are part of Deland’s and Volusia County’s test results.

Information from the COVID-19 Tracking webpage of the Safer Stetson website

As of Aug. 31, overall, from on-campus testing, there is a 0.9% positivity rate for residential students

As of Aug.31, there is a cumulative total of 91 cases on campus. 

The Most Recent Test Results from On-Campus Testing

From Aug. 25

Total tested from the Stetson community on Aug. 25: 195

Total cases from the Stetson community from Aug. 25: 3 (There is a 1.54% positivity rate from testing administered on Aug. 25.)

Current Active Cases on Campus

As of Aug. 31, there are 20 active cases on campus. 

• Active cases from students: 19 
  • Active cases from employees: 1 

Isolated On Campus 

• As of Aug. 31, 97 members of the Stetson Community are in isolation. 
    • There are 90 students and seven employees in isolation. 

Upcoming Webinars From President Christopher Roellke, Ph.D. 

All of President Roellke’s weekly webinars are scheduled from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the following Thursdays: 

President Roellke’s past webinars were held on July 16, July 23, July 30, Aug. 6, Aug. 20, and Aug. 27.

All forms of communication from President Roellke can be found here.

Rapid Antigen Testing 

The SCTF has provided additional information regarding testing options

• Through collaboration with Advent Health CentraCare, the SCTF has regularly scheduled free on-campus rapid antigen testing for every other week in the Hollis Center. 
  • For this semester, students may also receive free off-campus rapid antigen testing from any CentraCare location
    • Students are required to fill out the required paperwork before getting tested. 
    • Results from off-campus testing will be reported to Stetson Health Service and Lynn Schoenberg, Dean of Students so that COVID-19 positive students may receive the necessary support and care. 

Adjusted Hours for DuPont Library

To mitigate the risk of COVID-19 on campus and accommodate for shortages in staff, the library hours have been adjusted since Aug. 24. The hours for Ask-a-Librarian have not been affected and librarians are available for virtual assistance. Most of the library’s collection is accessible online

Library hours 

• 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mon. through Thurs. 
  • 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Fri.
  • 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sat.
  • 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Sunday

Addressing Concerns Regarding Meal Delivery During Isolation 

• During isolation, residential students will have all their meals for the day delivered to them daily between 12 p.m. and 3 p.m. 
  • Stetson Dining is collaborating with the SCTF, Residential Living and Learning (RLL), and Lynn Schoenberg to address the concerns and configure the details on delivering meals for residential students in isolation. 
  • Please contact Taylor Mills, Director of Marketing and Finance for Dining Services for any questions or concerns regarding meal delivery and dietary needs and restrictions. 

Information Regarding Isolation 

According to guidelines from the Florida Department of Health (FDOH), any students should isolate: 

• For 14 days If they were in “close contact” with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) defines “close contact” as being within six feet of someone for at least 15 minutes. In this scenario, even if an exposed student tested negative for COVID-19, they would stay isolated for 14 days. 
  • For 10 days from the start of experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 in compliance with the Health Response Protocol. If the individual at-risk experiences symptoms within 24 after the 10 days, the individual remains in isolation. 

Communication on Isolation 

• The Dean of Students Office sends email alerts to the Associate Deans for students in isolation. 
  • A separate notification goes to the professor if a student has tested positive COVID-19 and attended a face-to-face class
  • Facilities Management receives an email alert regarding spaces that a COVID-19 positive student has visited to ensure that the spaces are cleaned and disinfected more frequently and deeper. 
  • If the individual at risk is a student employee, Human Resources notifies the individual’s supervisor. 
  • The Dean of Students Office may notify parents, supervisors, and leaders of the organizations that the student at risk is involved in if requested.

Check Stetson’s Safer Stetson website, the website’s FAQ webpage, and your Stetson email for updated information.

Florida COVID-19 Case Updates 

Aug. 31, 11:03 a.m.

Data reported from the FDOH

Information from Daytona Beach News-Journal, Nikki Ross

Total tests in Florida: 4,622,552

• Total conclusive tests in Florida: 4,615,539

Total cases in Florida: 623,471 (There is an overall 13.51% positivity rate.)

The overall positivity rate is determined from the total number of administered tests with conclusive test results.

• Florida residents: 616,629
  • Non-Florida residents: 6,842

Total hospitalizations in Florida: 38,495

Total deaths in Florida: 11,331

Of the total cases in Florida: 

• 6,957 cases were announced in March.
  • 27,921 cases were announced in April.
  • 21,647 cases were announced in May.
  • 102,005 cases were announced in June.
  • 289,059 cases were announced in July.
  • 153,135 cases were announced in Aug.

Records Regarding COVID-19 in Florida: