COVID-19 Emergency Fund

At 9:54 a.m. on Friday, April 3, Lynn Schoenberg, Dean of Students, sent out an email about student emergency aid being available to the DeLand and Celebration campuses. 

Ms. Schoenberg started the email with: 

“These are certainly unique times for the Stetson community and for the world. As we all navigate this new normal of self-isolating while working and learning online, we remain a strong, vibrant Hatter nation.” 

COVID-19 has manifested substantial difficulties for many Stetson students and their families. Since virtual courses started on Wednesday, March 18, as many students were moving back home, Hatters have been asking how to provide support to others. 

There is now a campaign for alumni, faculty, staff, and friends to solicit donations as a way to offer additional financial support for students who are impacted by COVID-19. The COVID-19 Student Emergency Fund seeks to provide aid to Stetson students to reduce any unforeseen and even catastrophic financial hardships. A donation of any amount could potentially make an immense impact. These are tough times that challenge the resilience of the Hatter community, but these are times that also remind us of the Hatter spirit, the influential spirit of the Stetson community.

You may submit a request for COVID-19 financial assistance if you are dealing with financial obstacles. 

Immediate needs for financial assistance may include fewer hours of employment, medical bills, upgrades to technology for virtual classes, and other expenses and impacts relevant to COVID-19. 

In this article from Stetson Today, Heidi Goldsworthy, Director of Financial Aid said: “Our concern is using this money to make sure that students are fed and housed, and can survive until they get back to work again.” Goldsworthy added, “Those are the immediate needs.”

According to the same article, by Tuesday, April 8, the Office of Student Financial Student Aid Planning received 134 requests for financial assistance relevant to COVID-19. The Office of Student Financial Aid Planning is reviewing requests for immediate needs before reviewing requests for Fall 2020 and plans on reviewing requests for immediate needs for financial assistance on an individual basis within the next week or two. 

The COVID-19 Emergency Fund has a goal of raising $100,000 to provide financial assistance for students. So far as of 9:10 p.m, Saturday, April 11, around $35,150 has been raised.

There are other ways to provide financial assistance for students in need. In collaboration with the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program, The U.S. Department of Education is allowing colleges and universities to use any remaining funding from federal work-study for the year. For undergraduates at Stetson who may receive Federal Pell Grants and are experiencing financial difficulties from COVID-19, from this program, about $150,000 is available to provide for financial assistance. The Stetson Business School Foundation Board approved a donation of $10,000 to the Hatters Care fund for Business students. 

Please email Heidi Goldsworthy, Director of Financial Aid, or Office of Student Financial Planning, if you have any questions related to the COVID-19 Emergency Fund.