Leading Hatters: Empowering Chaudoin Residents

Lana Kaczmarek, Writer - The Reporter

While juggling her student responsibilities, serving as Vice President of Renown, and working as a historian for the Caribbean Student Association, Monique “Mo” Hylton serves as a 2017-2018 Resident Assistant.

Hylton ’20 is majoring in Psychology with a Sociology minor and is an RA on the second floor of Chaudoin.

Hylton was drawn to the duties of being an RA because she saw it as an opportunity to meet new people.

“I really love people, but I’m not outgoing. I felt if I was put into a spot where I had to be outgoing then I’d get the chance to meet new people,” Hylton said in our interview. “I knew being an RA would put me out of my comfort zone and allow me to be different by interacting in ways that I hadn’t interacted before.”

Hylton’s favorite part of working as an RA is that it sets her apart from her residents. She likes being able to balance being in charge and being their friend. She enjoys being there for them, as a support system, by attending the events and games they are involved with. She is also there to answer questions or solve conflicts that may arise.

Despite Hylton’s love of being a Resident Assistant, she never knew they existed.

“I had never had friends or family that had been in college and told me about RA’s.”

She learned, though, that her RA duties had similarities to being an older sibling for her 14-year-old brother. She’s the responsible one. For instance, she’s “always been reserved and not all about partying.”

Being an older sister has allowed Hylton to develop her leadership strengths, which she has utilized in becoming a better RA. Hylton hopes to use the new skills she has learned from her role as an RA, such as communication and conflict management, towards her future career as an FBI profiler.

Hylton has been a positive influence for her residents. She tries to guide them through the different areas of college whenever they need her.  She wants her residents to feel empowered within society. Her theme for the hall is “Beast Mode,” which has allowed the residents to share their strengths and what makes them feel beautiful. Next year, she hopes she can use the skills she learned to create community and family in upper division houses while serving as a 2018-2019 Resident Assistant.