SGA’s Letter in Correspondence to the Murder of Ahmaud Arbery

On February 23, in Brunswick, Georgia, Ahmaud Arbery, a 25-year-old African American man was jogging near his home when two white men, Gregory McMichael and his son, Travis McMichael, attacked and killed him, according to authorities. McMichaels and his son were not arrested for 74 days after the attack, but following the release of a video showing the shooting of Abery, public outrage led to their arrest on charges of murder and aggravated assault on May 7. 

In response to the murder of Ahmaud Arbery, on May 9, Stephanie D’Addio (‘22), SGA’s Chair of Diversity & Inclusion, wrote a letter regarding the murder of Ahmaud Arbery to express solidarity and support for the student body, especially black students, and the Stetson community. 

D’Addio reminds us that as part of the student body and the human race, it is essential to be active participants in the fight for equity, equality, justice, and peace, and to be aware and conscious of our actions and the effects that our actions may cause. 

D’Addio also brought up that if reformation of institutions is to occur, actions speak louder than words, and how important actions are for preventing scenarios similar to this one from happening. Students that are residing in Georgia are also encouraged to call and write to state representatives about this scenario. 

Read SGA’s full response here