SGA Highlights – 2/12

EASE update 

• On Monday, Feb.10, the House Higher Education Appropriations Committee passed Proposed Committee Bill (PCB) EDC 20-3. 
  • Section 11 of EDC 20-3 takes aim at the Effective Access to Student Education (EASE) Program 

Changes proposed to take into effect for Fall 2021: 

• EASE would no longer be considered a tuition assistance program. 
    • The current text of the bill specifically states that it is not a financial aid program 
    • Changes the purpose of EASE 
  • Requires students to apply for the Pell Grant in order to receive EASE and students to demonstrate financial need by filling out a FAFSA form each academic year. 
  • The exact impact of these changes is unclear, but the number of students receiving EASE would probably reduce by a considerable amount. 

With these proposed changes, it now reads:

“The William L. Boyd, IV, Effective Access to Student Education Grant Program is a financial aid program for state residents attending eligible independent nonprofit colleges and universities in the state.”

The Proposed Impact of Changes 

• EDC 20-3 subverts the original design and purpose of EASE, which was that it was to be a grant to help students across Florida access private education, regardless of need. EDC 20-3 reverses the stated intent of EASE, turning it into a financial aid program, which opens the door to the changes in requirements. 
  • Raising requirements on EASE would leave a considerable number of students without access to any money from the EASE program, passing the financial burden onto colleges, students, and families. 

New Senator Appointment 

Jacob Johnson (‘22) appointed and sworn in as Senator at Large. 

Bill to Call for Diversity and Inclusion Training for Faculty and Staff

A Bill to Call for Diversity and Inclusion Training for Faculty and Staff was passed. 

The Committee on Diversity & Inclusion, propose the following bill, presented by Senator Daniel Hendrick (‘23) & Chair Stephanie D’Addio (‘22):

Whereas faculty & staff are required to receive Title IX training but no training that caters to Stetson’s diverse student populations,

Whereas all new hires have mandated diversity training, however, the remaining faculty are not required,

Whereas diversity training enriches the educational experience of all students, promotes personal growth, and strengthens community, which aligns with Stetson’s values, 

Whereas diversity and inclusion training for faculty and staff would create a culture of respectful/representative dialogue on campus,

Whereas Stetson’s small student to faculty ratio creates close and collaborative relationships that challenge students,

Whereas the close and collaborative relationships this fosters can’t be carried out without all faculty members being educated and informed on how to respectfully engage with students of underrepresented & diverse identities,

Whereas one of Campus Life & Student Success’ (CLaSS) core commitments is “fostering multicultural awareness, social justice values and civic engagement”,

Whereas in fall semester 2018 there were a total of 13 reports through the BEST system and four of which were faculty on student complaints,

Whereas the University of Tampa, the University of Central Florida, the Florida State University, Eckerd College, and University of Florida, have programs that require and encourage staff to seek education in the realm of Diversity & Inclusion,

Be it Resolved

The Stetson University Student Government Association supports mandatory diversity & inclusion training for faculty and staff. And be it further

Resolved the committee on Diversity & Inclusion will present this bill to the faculty senate upon it being passed to gain support and put actions in place.

Campus Life

Chair of Campus Life, Robby Mahalo (‘21) is getting in contact for possibly getting a Snowbot and started getting tech waste bins. 

Hatterthon 

Every year, 135,000 children are treated at Orlando Health Arnold Palmer. Hatterthon is Stetson’s annual Dance Marathon. Hatterthon has a mission to help sick and injured kids at our local hospital, Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children and Hatterthon needs your help and support. Our local hospital treats thousands of children each year, regardless of what they are experiencing: illness or injury. The children at Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children are facing scary obstacles, like having to deal with cancer, cystic fibrosis, and injuries, as just a kid. 

Hatterthon will be held this year on Saturday, Feb. 22. It is a 10-hour event, with check-in beginning at 10:30 a.m., with the main event starts at 11:30 a.m., and the closing ceremony starting at 9 p.m. Hatterthon’s mission is to raise funds and awareness for our local children’s hospital, Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children. This year there is a $7 registration fee which will cover an event t-shirt and a meal at the event. If you have any questions, reach out to [email protected]. 

Register for Hatterthon here! 

Campus Climate Survey

Stetson is partnering with Pryor Education Insights to conduct a Campus Climate Survey. This survey will be open until Friday, March 6. This survey seeks to ask students, faculty, and staff about becoming a more diverse, equitable and inclusive community. Here is an article containing information about this survey from Stetson Today. 

Model Senate 

This year will be Stetson’s 49th Floyd M. Riddick Model United States Senate. To provide the experience and the education for student participants, the annual Model Senate replicates the actual process of procedures and activities of the United States Senate. Each student is assigned a senator in one of five legislative committees: the Committee on Armed Services, Environment and Public Works, Foreign Relations, Judiciary and Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. Each committee is responsible for researching and introducing a variety of bills. 

This year’s Model Senate will be taking place from Thursday, March 26 to Saturday, March 28. 

Click on this link to read more about  Model Senate

If you are interested and want more information, contact the Student Coordinator of Model Senate, George Alderman

Upcoming Events

Shabbat

• Hosted by: Hillel 
  • Time: Fridays, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. 
    • Location: Allen Hall 

Open House 

• Time: Saturday, Feb. 15, 9 a.m- 2 p.m.

Beer & Yoga

• Time: Thursday, February 20, 4 p.m to 6 p.m 
  • Location: Stetson Green Space 
  • Lua Hancock, Vice President for Campus Life and Student Success, will be teaching yoga. 

Follow SGA for updates.