SGA Highlights – 10/23

SGA Highlights. Written by: Jenny Fang.

Homecoming Updates from Lynn Schoenberg 

On Friday, Nov. 8, for Homecoming, dinner will be moved to the Rinker Fieldhouse. This celebratory event is occurring because money was raised for scholarships and The Commons and the Carlton Union Building (CUB) were renovated. In the fieldhouse, the lunch that is provided will be New York Style, with Italian-New York classics and dinner will have a theme of Throwback Thursday or the ’90s. On Friday, Nov. 8 for Homecoming, Stetson Favorites will be provided for lunch. There will be five food trucks, with grilling outside as well, for Food Truck Round-Up in the Rinker Parking Area from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Four of the food trucks are Gouda Foodam Mission Taco, and Rollin’ Dough. With a meal plan, a meal will be considered an entree and a drink. Multiple meals may be paid for using cards or cash right after the food trucks. After this event, from 8 p.m to 10 p.m., either a movie or a baseball game will be streamed. There will be indoor games and Airwaves will be occurring as well. l. Airwaves is a lip sync battle hosted by Greenfeather for Greenfeather’s philanthropy, My Angel for Paws. During Homecoming, dining options will be extended. The whole dining schedule during Homecoming may be found here.

Commencement Update from Julie Hunter

Each year commencement is traditionally held at Spec Martin Stadium. The Spec Martin Stadium has a capacity of 5,000 to 6,000 students. For health concerns and a belief that the overall graduation experience to be better than it has been in previous years, commencement has been moved to the Edmunds Center. The capacity of the Edmunds Center is around 2,400 people, so commencement will be broken up into two ceremonies. The Graduate Commencement will be held at 5 p.m on Thursday, May 7. On Friday, May 8, at 10 a.m., the ROTC Commissioning Ceremony will be occurring. Later that same day at 4:30 p.m., the Undergraduate Awards and Recognition will be held. On Saturday, May 9, there will be two undergraduate commencements for undergraduate students. The Undergraduate Commencement for the School of Business Administration and the School of Music will be held at 9:00 p.m. and Undergraduate Commencement for The School of Arts and Sciences will be held that afternoon at 2 p.m. 

Rotaract 

Rotaract’s philanthropy is polio. Polio, or poliomyelitis, is a paralyzing and potentially deadly infectious disease that most commonly affects children under the age of 5. The poliovirus spreads from person to person, typically rough contaminated water and may have deadly effects on the nervous system. For the last 30 years, the goal of Rotaract has been to eradicate polio, which, since then, has been reduced by 99.9 percent. Rotaract has contributed more than $1.8 billion toward eradicating the disease worldwide. Today, polio remains status as an endemic in Afghanistan, Nigeria, and Pakistan. It is crucial to continue working to keep other countries polio-free. 

Orlando Solar Bears (Hatterthon) 

Hatterthon is going to the Orlando Solar Bears vs. Jacksonville Icemen game at the Amway Center on Tuesday, Oct. 29 at 7 p.m for Hatterthon’s Chuck-a-Puck Fundraiser. The deadline to purchase these tickets is 5 p.m on Oct. 29.To purchase a ticket, click here. Tickets for this event are $15 each and every ticket benefits Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children. 

New Senator Appointments

Arye Beck, Ariana Motta, and Nicole Brunson were appointed and sworn into Senate. 

Campus Life 

• It was brought up that there might be an ice machine in every residence hall. This was previously brought up in a previous bill.