Weekly Wrap Up

DeLand Middle School: location of the weapons threat. Google street view

Vivianne Skavlem, Writer - The Reporter

Stetson University

According to P-Safe’s 60 Day Crime Log, a drug violation occurred Oct. 8 at 11:28 p.m. in Carson-Hollis Hall. This resulted in a judicial referral and the case is ongoing. No further incidents have been reported this week.

DeLand at Large

On Oct. 6, multiple vehicles were broken into at Pine Oaks.

Oct. 8, a student at DeLand Middle School threatened to bring a gun to school. The student was arrested and no gun or other weapon was found. The 14-year-old boy has been charged with making a threat to bring a gun on campus and commit violence. Furthermore, making a threat against a school is a federal offense. The purpose of the threat was to cause a school lockdown. John Devito, principal of DeLand Middle School and the DeLand Police Department were unable to make a statement. 

On the afternoon of Oct. 9 a kidnapped Orlando toddler, Jenzell Perez 2yearsold, was found safe in DeLand. Sugey Perez, 33, mother and kidnapper was arrested on aggravated assault and armed burglary charges. Jenzell Perez was abducted Tuesday, Oct. 9, at 11:45 p.m. from South Conway Road, a little over an hour south of DeLand.

Looking Forward

On Friday, Oct. 11, will be the annual DeLand Hay Day Fall Fest in Earl Brown Park, from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Starting Oct. 14, State Route 472 between 17-92 west of I-4 will be resurfaced, including turn lanes onto Martin Luther King Beltway. Traffic may be slower, so plan accordingly.