Goodbye from the 2018-2019 Editor-in-Chief

Shaylen Vitale, Editor-in-Chief - Hatter Network

Hello readers, staff members, panicking seniors (only kidding),

When I first joined Hatter Network, it did not exist. Or at least the Hatter Network we know today. I joined what was then The Reporter, an eager Freshman who wanted to write for the newspaper. Much changes in four years. The Reporter has transitioned from that newspaper to a magazine. WHAT Radio has traded the basement of Elizabeth for their own radio studio.  Uncouth has grown and now resides in the Garage, a very different place from the now non-existent Nightlights. Hatter Network was created my Sophomore year, the umbrella organization over all three branches of magazine, radio and literary arts journal.

And I myself have changed. I did not imagine myself in the position I am today, in both cases. Honestly, I would have laughed if you said my sophomore year I would be in my position now, only because I always felt someone else would take it. However, being the Editor-in-Chief of such an organization has been both a challenge and an honor. And it’s hard to believe being a senior in my last days at college. It’s one of those inevitabilities that seems to be unthinkable until it’s’ there in your face. I’m sure most of my graduating class can agree with me.

I could thank numerous people through the years to where I am today. Andy Dehnart has been an amazing guide, helping through the transition. I can’t say enough about Crystal Baroni. She has been the greatest help and has seen me at my worst (no sleep and 6 coffees deep!). She is an essential asset to our organization’s success.

More than anything, I thank the people of Hatter Network. An organization is nothing without its members. Everyone in this org wants to be here and it’s obvious with the amount of dedication each one of them has shown. You can see it in their radio shows and their articles. These people genuinely care about the student body and the work they are putting out.

If I could only express my gratitude to these staff members, but I don’t know how to. In your head you repeat to yourself different endings or ways to write your last letter, a final goodbye. I’ve tried my best and hope I have served you all well.

I could not do this without all the members of Hatter Network. They are all incredible, dedicated people and it’s been an honor to have worked with them for so many months, and in some cases, years. I know that the next Editor-in-Chief, Ruby Rosenthal, is going to do great things and I’m excited for what the next year has in store. Please enjoy the last issue of The Reporter, 2018-2019 season.

Signing out,

Shaylen Vitale