Hatters Football Cruises to 7-1 Record with Big Win over Morehead State in Homecoming Game

Ihsaan Fanusie, Writer - The Reporter

Students, faculty, and alumni were treated to a great 48-24 win in the homecoming football game against Morehead State last Saturday.

The Hatters performed well in every aspect of the game. Quarterback Colin McGovern threw for 398 yards, setting a new school record for passing yards in a game. McGovern also held the previous record of 391 yards.

After a back and forth start to a game that was tied at 14 points at the end of the first quarter, the Hatters hit their stride in the third quarter with 21 unanswered points.

Tight end Donald Parham made his impact on the game with two receiving touchdowns and 187 yards. This sort of performance is symptomatic of what has been a monster season for the senior. Parham has 951 receiving yards and nine touchdowns and currently leads all FCS football in both receptions per game (9.14) and receiving yards per game (135.9).

Beyond record-setting efforts from offensive stars, the defense stepped up for several crucial stops on Saturday as well. Sophomore defensive back JJ Henderson scored a 43-yard pick-six to give Stetson a three possession lead early in the third quarter. From there, the defense allowed only one second-half score, a fourth-quarter red-zone touchdown when the fate of the game had already been sealed. Once the Hatters pulled away and established a lead, they never relented.

The game is the fourth straight win for the Hatters, bringing their season record to 7-1. This reflects a marked improvement in team play, with the record already cementing the Hatters their best winning percentage since they were re-established in 2013. Ranking second in the Pioneer Football League, behind San Diego, the Hatters are having a truly dominant season.