Reporter Election Poll: Parting thoughts on the 2016 Election

This is part of a series examining the response’s to The Reporter’s 2016 Presidential Election Poll.

Voting booths in New Hampshire. Photo courtesy of https://commons.wikimedia.org

Jason Cruz, Editor-In-Chief

The final item of the poll, which was optional, read, “If you would like to say more about the election, please do here.” Forty-one students decided to add their thoughts. Responses ranged from disappointment in the major party candidates, to general discussion of the United States, to reflection on how unusual this election cycle has been. Regardless of who they plan to vote for, these students’ comments provide another interesting look into how Hatters view what some pundits call the most consequential presidential election in some time.
Students who decided to say more about the election heaped on anger with Clinton and Trump. The sentiment that “at this point it’s about the lesser of two evils” came through from several voters. “Trump is a potential disaster for this country and must be stopped. Hillary is no great shakes, either, but I think we can survive four years of her as an intact country,” wrote one unenthused Clinton voter. Another Clinton supporter said “It is sad that these two main candidates are the best we can do.” One Trump supporter simply wrote “God help us,” while a pessimistic Johnson voting student mused, “We’re doomed.”
Those dissatisfied with the Democratic and Republican candidates spread their blame around. One student wrote, “The Trump/Clinton thing is a sad farce perpetrated by the media.” Another said, “I am voting Libertarian because I am disappointed in both the Republicans’ and Democrats’ corrupt choices.” One of the few undecided participants even took aim at their fellow students: “The way that our generation has viewed this election has further contributed to a partisan outlook. For a generation that purports to be non-judgmental and tolerant, it is ironic when many of us react with hatred against people who do not share our values.”
Another person angry with the primary choices said, “Regardless of who wins, I hope the next four years go by quickly and we can elect someone who has more than a 38% approval rating.“ One student morosely claimed “this election cycle is just unfortunate.”
Trump took the lion’s share of the abuse. Negative comments towards Trump ranged from eloquent reflections to direct insults. A Clinton voter noted, “As a straight white middle-class dude, Donald Trump winning would not negatively affect me at all and that’s terrifying.” One person called Trump “an embarrassment to our country,” while another wrote, “Trump is a lying sociopath and national embarrassment. It is appalling that anyone would ever consider voting for him given the things he has said and done,” and someone simply labeled him “a piece of shit.” The hashtag #AnyoneButTrump also made an appearance among the responses.
One Trump voter explained their vote by writing as follows: “This is a very interesting election, especially with Trump. I’m not a fan of the guy, but as a History major [myself] he is fascinating. Everyone panics whenever he insults someone, but he still gets away with it regardless of coverage. People have underestimated him and I’m not as scared of him as some people claim to be because our Founding Fathers instituted a systems of checks and balances.
“So will he build a wall? No. Will he enforce the border? Yes. I don’t think he will be able to deport 11 million illegal immigrants and the fact that members of his own party don’t like him is a good thing. I don’t like Hillary Clinton and if Trump is able to be elected, this will be remarkable. In terms of America’s reputation or image abroad, it will probably be damaged if one of the two candidates are elected so let’s give him a chance.”
Here is how one particularly upset Trump supporter sees the situation: “Neither candidate is great, but when our healthcare rates have skyrocketed, our national debt has risen dramatically, and more and more people are sucking the life (and money) out of America by getting handouts and not working, something needs to change. “Obama promised change and he did it. He dramatically lowered overall well being and has created a monster (in terms of riots, mass murders, terrorism, police retaliation, and more). The change has been very bad for this country and it is time to bring back our jobs, unify the country, and stand strong against terrorism. I hope for the best.”