Q&A with Golf Player Baylor Payne

Photo Credit: gohatters.com

Photo Credit: gohatters.com

Morgan Ann Eiland, Writer - The Reporter

Baylor Payne is a sophomore on the golf team here at Stetson. He is from Martinsville, Indiana and is a Finance major. Playing a large role on the team this year, Payne contributed his first career top 10 finish at the Donald Ross Tournament.

How long have you been playing golf?
Payne: I’ve been playing golf competitively since I was about 9 years old, but I’ve had a golf club in my hand for as long as I could remember.
What brought you to Stetson?
P: It was always my dream to play Division 1 golf. Luckily, I met Stetson alum, Tom Creavy, through a family friend and he was able to contact Coach Watson.
Throughout your journey at Stetson, would you say that you have improved?
P: I’ve definitely improved since I got to Stetson. I didn’t really know a lot about the entire game of golf, but Coach Watson has helped me tremendously. He was able to teach me to harness all of my strength and power and be able to play more consistently time in and time out. He also helped me with my mental part of the game by calming me down so my head wouldn’t get in the way.
You earned your first career top 10 finish at the Donald Ross Tournament in North Carolina. What was that feeling like for you?
P: My first college top 10 was definitely one to remember. I was ecstatic and it just proves that I can do it so I’m hoping to get many more while I’m here.
You finished the tournament with 10 birdies, 10 bogeys, and one double. Can you please describe what a double is?
P: A double is just one more stroke than a bogey. I got a 6 on a par 4.
How are you and your team preparing for your future events?
P: We’re preparing more than we ever have and we’re playing better because of it. We’re working on our weaknesses and we’re strengthening our strengths.