Stetson’s Strain

Just like the “H” in its namesake, Chlamydia is a silent infection.

In the past (does anyone remember 2015?), Stetson has dealt with large reports of STDs. Each new semester brings the rise of a familiar sexually transmitted disease (STD) known as Chlamydia.

Chlamydia is a disease affecting over 1.5 million people in 2016. Most commonly reported by and in young women from ages 14-24 years old, it’s prevalence on college campuses isn’t surprising. Just like the “H” in its namesake, Chlamydia is a silent infection. It doesn’t give many physical cues of infection like other diseases. Luckily, it is easily treatable through antibiotics and doesn’t raise too many health risks when caught early by testing. However, left untreated, it can increase one’s risk of contracting the HIV virus.

As one student reports, it has been commonly believed that it’s being spread through the party scene, where students are getting drunk and going home with new people at the end of the night. One rumor has spread further than the infection itself, saying that Stetson may have its own personal strain of the STD. On this rumor, Suzanne Villalobos from Stetson’s Health Services, commented “Well Stetson doesn’t have a resistant strain of Chlamydia but most of the people who test positive for it here come in with no symptoms… on the bright side now that it’s flu season, the Chlamydia rates have gone down,” at the first “Sex at Stetson” talk that was put on by the campus’ chapter of the National Organization for Women in collaboration with the university’s Student Government Association (SGA).

Veronica Faison, SGA Vice President, comments on how the disease has affected campus life. “I’m sure it’s risen significantly since my first year here in 2014, but it seems to have always been a recurring problem. A problem that doesn’t affect campus life enough. We have so many educational resources on sex and health education, but I’m still unsure how seriously we as a campus are taking safe sex. Though I’m sure it’s gotten better over the years, there is still a weird stigma against getting tested for STIs. We know that college students neglect our health. We try to ride out strep throat for a birthday party and go to class with the flu. But if you’re [going to] be a sexually active person in any capacity, neglecting yourself not only negatively affects you, but your partner or partners. And that’s not sexy at all.”

Coincidentally topical, Stetson’s Sexual Responsibility Week is running concurrently. Through February 12-16, Wellness and Recreation is putting on a week of events related to sexual health including free HIV testing.

Whether you’ve had zero sexual partners or multiple, sexual health is something to be taken seriously. If you are sexually active and believe you may have contracted chlamydia please go and get yourself tested at Health Services. Stay safe this Valentine’s Day and beyond it.

Health Services has yet to comment on this issue directly to HatterNetwork