Internationally Understood: Five Things Internationals and Americans Should Know about Each Other

Let’s break borders: What Americans should know about us international students:

Eyal Cohen, Writer - The Reporter

1. Believe it or not, but we’re not that different.

We have iPhones, and Netflix. We drink Starbucks coffee and eat at McDonald’s. We listen to Drake, and watch The Fast and The Furious. We’re just some cool people in our early 20s who came here for a rad time. Rad? Is that how you say it?

2. We know you probably don’t know much about where we come from.

We’d love to tell you, so just ask. Who doesn’t love talking about themselves? Quick pro-tip: you should probably think before you ask. Not only with us, but, like, in general. I have a friend from Kenya who got asked once if there are lions roaming about the streets of Nairobi. Assuming really CAN make an ass out of you and me. Don’t do it.

3. We know we have different names, it’s fine. News flash: so do you!

Once again, don’t be afraid to ask us how we pronounce it. Even more important: don’t be afraid to say you didn’t get it the first time. There’s nothing worse than when we meet you for the second time and you just throw a bucket of pronouns at us. We know you’re embarrassed to get it wrong, so just ask again the first time.

4. Our knowledge of American culture, in particular the collegiate one, is subjected to memes and American Pie movies.

A part of us is still surprised that people actually go to class or that beer isn’t served at the commons (thank God the whole red solo cup thing is real or else this would be the biggest scam since pet rocks). So be patient with us and teach. Also, having a drive-thru isn’t that big of a thing in the rest of the world, so don’t make fun of us when we’re amazed that you can deposit a check or pick up your prescriptions without getting out of your car.

5. We’re far from home.

We know that you are, too. Whether you’re from a different part of Florida, or from out of state, being away from home can really suck sometimes. Now imagine paying hundreds of dollars, and traveling over 24 hours through three different time zones, just to be reunited with your dog–I mean, your parents. Yeah, them. Anyway, most of us have to go through that. It’s tough. So tough that a few of us even stay here during breaks, simply because we can’t go home. So be nice to us. Invite us over to celebrate a real Thanksgiving or Fourth of July. Embrace us, so that when you finally go on that world-tour you oh, so want to, you’ll have warm beds and a personal tour guide wherever you end up. Kindness reciprocates.

What us international students should know about Americans:

1. Americans probably don’t know much about your home country.

Not because they don’t want to, but because it’s on the other side of the world. Their questions don’t mean any harm; they’re simply from curiosity. Answer them. Also, not all of them are going to be super confident about approaching you, so be kind, and show them that you don’t mind talking about your culture. (Beware of spelling it out for them; they may actually not care, and then you’ll just look weird. Never go full weird).

2. American culture is cool.

As commercialized and consumeristic as it may be perceived (and perhaps is), deep down, there are so many traditions and values behind the holidays, the celebrations, the histories and the people. Americans from Florida, Texas, Missouri, or Connecticut have completely different stories to tell you about what their life looks like back home. Learn about the culture. You’re going to be here for four years (hopefully); you might as well get to know it.

3. College is a point of pride.

It may seem bizarre to you that middle aged men still wear a worn-out and faded Miami Hurricanes shirt, but your college truly does stay with you long after you graduate. For good and for bad. Some of the people in this school are third or fourth generation Hatters, and some are children of a Seminole and a Gator. Each one carries a different story and meaning behind it, because your college matters. Alma mat(t)ers.

4. Americans are polite. Well, kinda. It’s more of a courtesy thing.

Anyway, just because the girl at the grocery store is smiling at you and asked you how you’re doing, it doesn’t mean she’s hitting on you (and it definitely doesn’t mean you should surprise her at Einstein’s the next day with roses. Trust me). Courtesy is common here. People will hold the door open for you, they will give you a high five when they see you (even if it’s for the third time today), and they’ll wish you to have a nice day. It’s fine. Get used to it. Also, I suggest you try and do the same, or else you will be seen as kinda rude. Wouldn’t want to ruin your whole country’s reputation, do you?

5. iPhones are important, and WhatsApp isn’t a thing.

If you don’t have an iPhone, and your texts are green when you send them, you’re basically a peasant. Don’t even bother. Just go back home. Seriously.

-Written by Eyal Cohen