Leading Hatters: Leadership in the Greek Community

Lana Kaczmarek, Writer - The Reporter

Mackenzie Murphy, a junior Biology major, currently serves on the Panhellenic Executive Board as the Vice President of Risk Management.

Prior to this position, Murphy started leading at Stetson by working as a FOCUS Orientation Leader in 2016.

Although Murphy has served as a leader on campus, she had no intentions of partaking in any leadership roles prior to attending Stetson.

“I was honestly focused on my academics, then second semester my freshman year, I decided to reach out and join a couple organizations and that’s when I joined FOCUS,” said Murphy.

Following that year, Murphy served as the chapter President for Kappa Alpha Theta which values leading women.

“Being a leading woman means everything. I’m a big believer in women ruling the world and women’s empowerment, so to be able to be a leader in a chapter that values this nationally, was really cool and a humbling experience,” shared Murphy.

Through her leadership positions, Murphy learned that communication is key when trying to achieve a common goal.

Murphy encourages all students to participate in leadership roles.

“Just do it! Every person has the capacity to lead. Every leadership style is different. There’s no right way, there’s no wrong way, you just have to dive in and go for it!” exclaimed Murphy.